Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Just a Thought

osama3

Yesterday I wrote out this very long post about how I was torn in the “celebrations” that were going on over the death of Osama bin Laden. I did not post it because I couldn’t’ find the right words.  I could not even watch or read the news, I was becoming sick to my stomach.  I believe justice was served but how can we celebrate the death of anyone?  I cannot and I do not want my children to think it is okay to be happy anyone is killed.

And then I was on Facebook this mourning and someone had this posted on their wall.

“I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”

That is what I wanted to say.

Update: Apparently the whole quote was not from Martin Luther King Jr. but anyway I still like what it says, no matter who said or wrote it. “The source of the quote is a Facebook message by someone who included a quote by Martin Luther King Jr.

4 comments:

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Hi Jennifer - Last night I was trying to explain just the same feelings to my hubby and son while we were talking on the phone...I also found it hard to find the right words...so I know exactly what you were feeling. The quote you posted is pretty close to how I have been feeling too....no matter how evil Bin Ladan was, it does not seem right to celebrate.

Anonymous said...

I Agree with that MLK quote.
This made me think on how much morals have changed & continue to change. Very sad!!!

Lynn said...

I agree here, I mentioned to my son that we should never celebrate the death of someone even someone evil. I heard on the news a family member of someone killed in 9/11 said it was a sense of justice being served as opposed to a celebration for them.

Love Bears All Things said...

The Bible does say we are to love and forgive our enemies...I'm not rejoicing in his death...it would have been better if he could have been tried for his crimes but I'm can be relieved that this one terrorist leader is no longer in power...his followers will find a new leader I'm sure...the threat isn't eradicated just because he is gone.
Mama Bear