Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Back from our Trip!!

We made it back from Maryland. It was nice to see family I haven’t seen in a while. It rained the entire time we were there, if it wasn’t raining it was drizzling. I did not get to see my father-in-laws boat. Things got a little crazy the last day we were there because his neighbors basement flooded.

I was able to see the old quilt my mother-in-law found at the farmhouse where her mother lived.  They have lived in Southern Maryland forever and owned a tobacco farm in or near Upper Marlboro, MD.  Her mother passed away not long ago and they have been cleaning out the farm house. In one of the closets she found a very large old quilt. It was not done by anyone in her family, I believe it was loaned to them or given to them. They are not really into quilts. Anyway, the quilt is very old, possibly from the 1700’s. Beautifully hand pieced and hand quilted, with trapunto also(not sure if I am spelling that correctly). I was not able to get a picture of the entire quilt because she did not want to open it all the way. And NO, I am not getting it, sad to say, I believe she had someone take a look at pictures of it and they are going to donate it to the Smithsonian or something for a tax write-off. Mercy me, I am saddened. Here are a couple pics of it, I put some others on Flickr.

  Grandpas 031Grandpas 034 Grandpas 074Grandpas 035Grandpas 033

The kids really enjoyed the trip playing with their cousins. Except Natalie, she was very sick by Saturday. Woke up with a high fever and just kinda laid around the entire time. I felt so bad for her, I knew how she was feeling though, I am also still sick.  We all are sick now, I tell you during the school year we cannot stay well no matter what we do.

Grandpas 080 Grandpas 055 Grandpas 058 Grandpas 068

My pictures were sort of lame but Bernie's sister takes such great pictures we usually wait to see hers.

Bernie and I were able to go to many antique stores and went back to a quilt store I have not been in since I began quilting more than 10 years ago. It was the same but with newer fabric. I think we both had fun there, well at least he said he did, he even said we should have bought more fabric – WHAT! Can we go back?

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh that's a beautiful quilt. I wonder how long it had been in your husbands family? It's big too! What an unusual pattern - flying geese? Would be nice to keep it in the family - especially with little girls to pass it down too. Did you get some crabs? My sister lives close to Upper Marlboro - small world isn't it?

Unknown said...

Hey Lynn, I was not able to get any crabs, I am so sad, maybe next time. We lived in that area for a long time - it is a small world. Actually my mother-in-law is my husbands step mom so I guess technically it would not be in her family, I guess. They were married when all the kids were grown.