Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Top is almost complete!

Antique quilt 008I have all the squares sewn together. I used all but one of the 4 1/2” squares. Perfect!  The picture is not the greatest, I had to hang it over the window to get it all.  I took a picture of it on my bed, which is a queen size bed, to give you an idea of the size, without borders it is 72” X 84”.  Antique quilt 010 I have been auditioning borders and I am not very happy. I have so much fabric but I do not have many large pieces so my choices are limited. I do not want to buy anything so that is not an option. The quilt will be a perfect size for a queen sized bed if I had about a 6 inch border (could be broken up into two borders). I have 3 colors I was looking at, opinions would be appreciated, so bring them on.

Option 1: (I am leaning towards this one- the inner border would be the smaller piece – it is the same color of the orangey/red that is throughout the quilt) They are both Jo Morton fabrics by Andover.

Antique quilt 014Antique quilt 013 

Option 2: (not too impressed with this one – too light I think) It is a Windham “A  Little Bird Told Me” by Maren Scott.Antique quilt 016Antique quilt 013  And Option 3: Is Marcus Brothers Fabrics a line by Judie Rothermel and the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum called “Rocky Mountain Quilts” Antique quilt 015Antique quilt 013 There you have it. I also thought about using the same color as the squares but I only have about a yard of that so I don’t think it will work. Here are two pictures that show the colors a little better. The quilt wrinkled up a bit when I put it on the scanner. I was amazed how well it came together and it lies very flat, no bumps or anything. I am so happy.

Antique quilt 018 Antique quilt 017 If you have any ideas let me know!! Maybe it shouldn’t have a border at all. I am going to use  double layer of flannel as the batting to make it a summer weight quilt, which should also make it easier to hang, if that is what I will do with it.

That’s all for now – have a great day!!

 

Jennifer

4 comments:

Sharon Stewart said...

Hey Jennifer

Love the vintage quilt blocks. They are too cool. I vote no borders. Most of my older quilts didn't have borders, just the binding. I think that would make your quilt feel more authentic to the time period. Can't wait to see it all done. And am loving the churn dash squares.

Unknown said...

Thanks Sharon - I agree about no borders, I don't want it to be too heavy in case I hang it also. Thank you for your input!!

Chookyblue...... said...

yours is very similiar to mine isn't it..........I think having our plain simple blocks in between shows off the nine patch blocks........I would go with no border..........your is a bit bigger then mine at the moment.........

Unknown said...

Thank you Chooky. I agree with you. Yours is very lovely!